Thursday, January 1, 2009

Thanksgiving 2008

Me again...

I had wanted to catch up on some bjourning while we were away, but I didn't bring my laptop home (shhhhh, don't tell my work) so I barely even checked email. Have to admit, it was kind of nice. Anyway, I do want to post more regularly, maybe that'll be a new year's resolution.

Well, now that I've written about our recent Christmas trip home, let me backtrack a bit and post some pics of our Thanksgiving this year, in case you thought we didn't go all out as we normally do. Like last year, it was just three of us (us and Donald), and also like last year, it was quite a feast.

1.5 lbs of turkey per person is recommended for a good dinner and leftovers to take home. Uh... yeah... good things we got an 18lb bird :) The turkey is Brian's purview, and he does a great job, don't you think?

We also had many of our usual favorites, and a couple of new things.
Sumptuous sides: Sausage stuffing, roasted brussel sprouts
and carrots, clementine cranberry sauce, brown sugar-glazed
sweet potatoes (with marshmallows!), a gratin of greens,
horseradish mashed potatoes, and giblet gravy. Mmmmmmmmm!

After dinner, we took a break to play some wii.
No doubt discussing some tiim strategii.

Donii and Briian, ready to take down some tanks! Note
how Briian is a fairly grumpy character...

After a palate cleanser of lemon-mint sorbet, we moved onto desserts. I made butter tart bars again, and this year I tried a new dessert - chocolate pumpkin tart (thanks to Martha Stewart). It was pretty easy, and I thought it was a nice alternative to pumpkin pie.
Pretty!

Desserts all plated up, with cinnamon whipped cream. I had
some extra tart dough, so I made a few chocolate star 'cookies.'


The next day, as is our awesome custom, we made a terrifically yummy turkey soup. This is becoming one of my favorite parts of our Thanksgiving, as it is so good and hearty and a great way to finish off our unused greens/veggies.

Of course, we had leftovers for a few days (never a problem). I had a lot of work to do that weekend, so I definitely appreciated having a couple of days off, and not having to cook again for a few days!

What a great holiday, especially this year when we had a lot to be thankful for. I can't wait for Thanksgiving 2009.

No comments: