Thursday, January 8, 2009

Operation: NameChange - Phase II

I decided to change my last name when we got married. There are a lot of reasons for and against, but I like the idea that it means Brian and I are a unified entity, and whenever our family grows (not for a long time, but eventually), we will all share the same last name. And besides, what could be better than having a last name that's like a built-in cheer?

The process, however, is not something to cheer about. Just think about all the things that are attached to your last name. Passport, social security, bank accounts, taxes, driver's license, work ID, emails, insurance, credit cards, memberships, EVERYTHING! There's a lot to do, especially because I have two countries to deal with. I have been putting it off (obviously!) but certain things have a lag period for processing/mail, etc. and I want to get it done in advance of some international travel coming up.

Phase I was getting my work ID changed, because it was the easiest thing to do. I just had to get a memo from my human resources person, which I did before the holidays.

Phase II was getting a new social security card, so I went to the local office this morning. After about half an hour, I came out with a letter promising me a new card in 2 weeks. Phase III will be my driver's license, car title and registration, which involves a dreaded trip to the DMV. After that, I think I can do things by phone or internet, so that's good!

This probably isn't all that interesting to many people (heck, I don't even want to do it!) but I think this is actually a fairly momentous change, so I'm going to document it here. Lucky you :)

No comments: