Sunday, September 30, 2007

Hello October

I can't believe tomorrow will be the first day of October. Where does the time go? It hardly feels like that long ago that we got engaged (February), graduated (May), and left California (June), and it doesn't even feel like it was that long ago that I lived in San Francisco for a year (2003), bought my car (2002), and went backpacking around Europe (2001). As of my coworkers said the other day, once you pass 25 - at that point I cringed - it just goes faster and faster.

Well, just to update you all, things are going well. The apartment is about as up to snuff as it will be for a while - at least until I get my first paycheck on October 31st (my paperwork wasn't submitted in time for the September payroll deadline...eeps). In the past week we finally started putting stuff up on the walls, which makes things feel much more complete. So, pictures to follow soon.

Work (it's been 2 weeks, if you're counting) is going well. The people in my unit (Clinical Neuroscience and Psychopharmacology Research Unit, or CNPRU) are nice and have been very welcoming. It's a little different than the experiences I've had in previous labs, but I think it'll prove to be an interesting change. More on that later... Actual work has been fairly slow, since there was just so much paperwork/administrative stuff to wade through. One good thing about being a student? You don't have to worry about health and insurance benefits because you don't have any options! I know, that seems a little weird, but sometimes too much choice can be a difficult thing.

Life in Chicago is also going well - we have started to get out a bit to do things (see my next post). The weather is holding up really nicely, which is conducive to exploring a bit more. Hopefully it stays nice for a while, at least while work is still slow so we can take advantage and have some fun. When the weather does get cold, however, I will be prepared. I'm stocking up on restaurant delivery menus. My coziest sweats are at the ready. At present, I even have a small collection of FOUR "sleeping bag coats" that will help ward off the chills. Don't worry, I'm only keeping one of them, but you know how I like to comparison shop... I should post a picture of the one I eventually pick though, because they really fit the name! Next on the list of things to look for is winter boots. Boy, it's been a while since I had a pair of those.

So that's it in a nutshell. We are happy, warm, and getting into the swing of things. Considering the flurry of events that has brought us here, I'd say we've adjusted pretty well :)

No comments: